I designed this model for my friend Scott at Mega Jets. He has a 3d cutter and does a great job of producing foam based sport models. My goal for the Bat was to design a sport/combat flyer that local clubs could use for a “One Design” type combat event. Turns out it is fun to just fly around as well even if you are not into combat. The goal was a strong but good flying combat plane for the 480 class of motors. We didn’t want crazy fast so as to endanger the crowd but fast enough to have fun and tow a streamer. So I designed the “Bat” to fill the bill. I have always liked the wing/tail blended shape airplanes. You can fly around normally but she also will high alpha quite well to a point with no rudder. She also handles the wind pretty well for her size. I would suggest the Mega Bat for a modeler that has flown and built something before. This is not a good first plane. This model does make a good decision for a second or third after you have mastered a trainer type.
Wing Span –34.3”
Wing area – 350 Sq. In
Weight 29 to 32 ounces
Typical Equipment used on prototypes:
BP Hobbies A2814-6 Outrunner
30-40 amp brushless ESC
3s 2200mah Lipo
Servos – (3) 10-11 gram (LS-11D Hobby People good choice) Or Hitec 65′s
4-6 Channel Receiver. 6 if you want elevator flap mix. 4 Channel is fine with a “Y” Harness
Some unique features are:
- Tuff ½” pink foam Construction. Carbon fiber tube reinforced wing.
- Tab and notch construction, self aligning quick building.
- Pre-cut pockets and channels for servos and carbon spars.
- 3/32” Plywood firewall and tail group for combat toughness.
- Large surfaces allow aerobatics and good slow speed characteristics.
- With recommended power system, you will achieve unlimited vertical and pull a streamer with authority.